[SWFObject] Script not working in IE 6.0.2800.1106 on Windows 2000

Geoff Stearns geoff at deconcept.com
Mon Apr 24 17:00:56 PDT 2006

cool...

We get mails like this about twice a month or so to the list, and
it's always because of 'bad' installs on the system. one big culprit
is usually the various plugin switches that are out there. if they
don't do the switch the right way, your computer might think it has a
version of Flash Player that it doesn't really have, or it might
think it doesn't have it at all, when it really is there.

I think that 'normal' users will very rarely encounter issues like
this, but for the times that they do, you can always include a
'bypass detection' link in your alternate content. that way if the
user *knows* they have flash installed, they can click that link and
still see your stuff.

but ultimately, if that happens, they just have some issues with
their plugins.

On Apr 24, 2006, at 7:53 PM, subs at digitalheights.com wrote:

> Thank you Geoff - That did the trick. Looks like I had a bad install.
> Best,
> Scott
>
> Geoff Stearns wrote:
>> How did you install the flash player? Is it possible you have a
>> bad install somehow?
>>
>> Try running the uninstaller and reinstall the latest version.
>> get the uninstaller here:
>> http://www.macromedia.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=tn_14157
>>
>> You can also go to this page to see what version SWFObject detects
>> on your system:
>>
>> http://blog.deconcept.com/swfobject/flashversion.html
>>

>> On Apr 24, 2006, at 7:26 PM, scott at digitalheights.com wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>> First of all, I'd like to say thanks to Geoff & Toby for
>>> developing this
>>> great tool. Unfortunately, I encountered a potentially serious issue
>>> when viewing pages that use the script in IE 6.0.2800.1106 on
>>> Windows
>>> 2000. I visited several pages that are using FlashObject or
>>> SWFObject
>>> (including http://www.cartoonsmart.com and http://www.loc.gov/
>>> bookfest/
>>> and http://www.youtube.com). These sites all display their Flash
>>> content
>>> properly in Firefox, but when in IE, the alternate text is
>>> displayed. I
>>> have javascript enabled and I also have the most recent version
>>> of the
>>> Flash player installed in IE so unless I'm mistaken, the script
>>> appears
>>> to be the source of the problem.
>>> Any thoughts?
>>> Thanks,