[SWFObject] Script not working in IE 6.0.2800.1106 on Windows 2000

John Luther jluther at on2.com
Tue Apr 25 05:36:48 PDT 2006

On a related note, I went through two days of scratching my head with
faulty detection on Internet Explorer 6.029 on XP. I completely
uninstalled the Flash Player plugin, reinstalled it, rebooted, and so
on, but swfobject and the Macromedia installer page itself still behaved
erratically, sometimes detecting the player and sometimes not, even
after I had uninstalled.

It turns out that my system was in some strange state where the player
was "uninstalled" but the Flash plugin director stayed behind. Manually
deleting the c:\windows\system32\macromed\flash directory fixed it.

--JL

--
John Luther
Vice President, Marketing & Customer Services

Notice: This email is intended only for the person or entity to which it
is addressed and may contain information that is privileged,
confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure. Dissemination,
distribution or copying of this e-mail or the information herein by
anyone other than the intended recipient, or an employee or agent
responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, is
prohibited.