[SWFObject] loading Vars in the source tag.

DL dl.lists at ntlworld.com
Wed Apr 26 06:03:58 PDT 2006

On 25 Apr 2006 at 22:55, Geoff Stearns wrote:

> yes, you can do it that way if you like, but i recommend doing it
> using the addVariable.
>
> addVariable uses FlashVars, which means it won't affect the caching
> of your swf, and there is no restriction on the length of vars you
> can pass into the swf (or at least it makes the limit *much* higher
> than the browser limit.
>
> if those vars change at all, every time they change, the browser will
> make a new request to your server, negating speed increase your users
> might get from caching of the swf file.

Extending this scenario ..

I have multiple (5) SWFobjects to display as composite views (skin components)
in an HTML wrapper page.

>From the point of view of caching efficiency , when passing vars between these
separate SWFobjects (in divs), either from the individual SWFobjects or the parent
HTML, is it better to use

(a) FlashVars .. or
(b) javascript integration kit .. or
(c) externalinterface (Flash 8 only)?

Assume 5 divs/SWFobjects .. and about 4-6 FlashVars per SWFobject to be
passed (not just at page initialisation, but on internal events in SWFobjects).

Yet another way I'm testing is to have just one SWFobject per HTML wrapper
page (5 HTML /SWFobject pages) .. then bind these multiple HTML pages into
divs/iframes in another container index.html .. using

document.getElementById(id).innerHTML = iframe_properties;

In short .. what is the cleanest way of laying out multiple SWFobjects (skin
components) where they must intercommunicate in the common browser canvas?

Can an array be passed as one var (object) in FlashVar?

And avoiding the div refresh flicker as the object pages are refreshed to pass the
FlashVars.

Thanks

DL