[SWFObject] placing the swfobject.js

dayvid jones dayvid at dayvid.com
Fri Apr 28 08:58:51 PDT 2006

Thanks Geoff,

Did  <script language="javascript1.1" defer src="/jshitbox/hbe-
media.js"></script>  not load on both pages?

This page doesn't' have SWFObject:

http://sparkdev2003.sparktop.org/games/games.html

Is this page loading <script language="javascript1.1" defer src="/
jshitbox/hbe-media.js"></script> ?

Thanks so very much!

On Apr 28, 2006, at 7:43 AM, Geoff Stearns wrote:

> i've never seen that happen before... it looks like the one script
> call from hitbox isn't being loaded.
>
> this part:
> <script language="javascript1.1" defer src="/jshitbox/hbe-
> media.js"></script>
>
> is what i think is breaking it... the 'defer' will make IE wait to
> load that js file, but i'm not sure how that all fits in with the
> other things on the page and the load order and whatnot.
>
> there's nothing wrong with putting the swfobject link in the body
> of the page - as long as it works, that's what matters.
>

> i can tell you that i've used swfobject on many many projects that
> use hitbox and other tracking systems and haven't come across this
> issue, so if you figure anything out, please let the list know.
>

> On Apr 27, 2006, at 9:16 PM, dayvid jones wrote:
>
>> Hi, at SparkTop.org we use HitBox to track traffic on our site.
>> HitBox uses JavaScript, and all the JavaScript has to be the first
>> thing in the body tag, not the header tag.  We noticed that
>> SWFObject was causing JavaScript Errors when a user clicks on a
>> button in the Flash movie that makes the HitBox javascript call.
>> But when we moved the <script type="text/javascript"
>> src="swfobject.js"></script> to after the HitBox code in the body
>> tag, it seems to be working fine.  Does this sound okay?  Is it
>> okay to have the swfobject.js load in the body tag?
>>
>> Here is a page with the swfobject.js loading in the body tag (use
>> IE, turn on display a notification in internet options panel, then
>> click the join sparktop.org - you should not get an error):
>>
>> http://sparkdev2003.sparktop.org/home.html
>>

>> Here is a page with the swfobject.js loading in the header (use
>> IE, turn on display a notification in internet options panel, then
>> click the join sparktop.org - you should get an error)
>>
>> http://sparkdev2003.sparktop.org/winstuff.html
>>

>> Thanks

>> D A Y V I D     J O N E S
>>
>> Free Games, Free Music, Cool Photos and Documentaries!
>> http://www.dayvid.com
>>
>> ...shouldn't you be listening to Calico Radio?
>> http://www.CalicoRadio.com
>>
>> music for the mAdNeSs!
>> http://www.DJGecko.com