[SWFObject] Trouble converting from the old flashobject.js to the new swfobject.js

Lee Bradley lee_bradley at operamail.com
Tue Jul 18 13:53:57 PDT 2006

I am a newbie to just about every aspect of this stuff but am interested
as hell and actually know a fair amount about programming etc. so any
help from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

A friend of a friend is using Geoff's older version of flashobject.js
and I am trying to figure out how to convert to the newer version of
swfobject.js. You may find this use at

http://www.charleybradley.com/maxproject/2006/growers/chip/amywebwork/cb_webpage/index.htm

I have built a file called index-try.htm which includes the latest
swfobject.js. I get the following error messages under Firefox

swfobject-error

when I visit

http://www.charleybradley.com/maxproject/2006/growers/chip/amywebwork/cb_webpage/index-try.htm

I have a few other questions which I'll list below, but the above
problem needs to be resolved before I can move forward at all.

The use of .xml in the above application is vaguely understandable (as I
say, I'm a newbie). The following files are in the cb_webpage directory:

http://www.charleybradley.com/maxproject/2006/growers/chip/amywebwork/cb_webpage/photos.xml
http://www.charleybradley.com/maxproject/2006/growers/chip/amywebwork/cb_webpage/photos.js
http://www.charleybradley.com/maxproject/2006/growers/chip/amywebwork/cb_webpage/galleryconfig.xml

1. I have not yet figured out where the photos.js file is referenced

2. When I first took a look at all this stuff, it appeared that Geoff's
embed script might actually be what's behind the
*creation* of the gallery.swf. In other words, if you provide the .jpg's
and wrap everything up with the front end .htm (which references the
.xml and .js)
on first invocation the .swf file gets built and embedded. Is this
what's going on?