[SWFObject] (OT?) Deep linking, mod_rewrite, and SEO - together with SWFObject of course!

Alan Shaw nodename at gmail.com
Mon Jul 31 22:41:25 PDT 2006

Hi,
I'm interested in implementing deep linking in a way that will be both user-
and search-engine-friendly.
My most promising references appear to be

http://chakramedia.com/deeplink-backbutton/index.html for the Flash
implementation,

 and

http://contentwithstyle.co.uk/Articles/64/clean-urls-for-a-better-search-engine-ranking
for
URL rewriting with useful keywords, allegedly pleasing to Google.

I was also thinking that when the user goes to a particular bookmarkable
state in the application (either by Flash navigation or by following a deep
link), I could use JavaScript to replace text in the div under the swf with
specific search-engine meat corresponding to the current state.  This text
could come from Flash or from the server db and be set with "nodeValue" in
JS I guess.

So my questions are:

1. feasibility (I'm no JavaScript expert)

2. sneakiness (would Google penalize this technique?)

Apologies if this is too far afield for this group, but I thought it's
really not a Flashcoders thing, and the JS knowledge might be found here!

Thanks,

-A