[SWFObject] addVariable problem

Sam Holland sam.holland at gmail.com
Fri Jun 2 08:40:27 PDT 2006

I'm having a frustrating problem on a site I'm working on.

The website is built in Flash, broken up across several subdirectories
like a typical html website would be (example.org/about,
example.org/info, etc). There's one main movie that loads the content
in those nested directories -- a fairly typical Flash site structure.

In each of those directories, I have an html index that both loads the
main swf and adds a variable telling it which section of the site to
navigate to. And in the first frame of the Flash movie I have a switch
statement that checks the variable before loading the rest of the
site. This all works perfectly, but just not the first time you load
the site. If it's cached, it works. If not, the movie doesn't play
beyond the first, empty frame; it doesn't even execute the default
switch statement.

See for yourself:

http://www.nail.cc/us/awards
http://www.nail.cc/contact/findus
http://www.nail.cc/store

or google site:nail.cc for more examples

The first time it loads, at least in Camino, Firefox and Safari, it
stalls on the first frame. If you hit reload, everything appears as it
should.

Am I adding my variables incorrectly? Or is it possibly lazy/poor
actionscript? I've been trying to figure this out for awhile and I've
come up with nothing.

Thanks for reading

--Sam