[SWFObject] Problem with SWFObject 1.4

Leonard Chan Leonard at plum.ca
Tue Jun 6 18:29:11 PDT 2006

Hi,

I'm new to SWFObject.  I successfully got it running about a week ago;
however, today I received a couple separate emails that our site was
"closing IE" when users tried to move from page to page.  I was able to
verify this from one of the machines in the office.  I.e. If I go to the
examples page: http://blog.deconcept.com/swfobject/expressinstall.html
and click from example to example, eventually (it seems random or timing
based) IE will just die without an error.  It seems to be more frequent
with the fullscreen example.  Previous to my downgrading to
FlashObjects, on our website with the test machine, every now and then
IE would give me an error message before closing.  I have yet to see any
error message on the example page.

The machines that I was able to reproduce the problem on is as follows:
- OLD IBM Pentium 2, 400MHz or so. 256MB Ram.
- Windows XP SP2. IE 6
- Flash player 6.0.84 -- it's NOT a dev. machine, so at most, it might
have had an earlier version of Flash installed in the distant past.
- Occurs with both a Limited User Account and my regular Admin account.

I've since downgraded to FlashObjects 1.2 (which I ripped from the
loc.gov site).  Since then, I haven't been able to reproduce the
problem.

I can provide more info if requested.  I don't intend to change the
Flash version on that machine anytime soon.

Regards,

Leonard

Leonard Chan
IT