[SWFObject] SWFObjects handling of FlashVars for IE browser

Derek Tonn datonn at mapformation.com
Thu May 11 23:41:30 PDT 2006

Geoff,

I'm a couple weeks late to this discussion (just joined the listserv
tonight!), but I am experiencing the identical problem that Jonathan.
And I did notice one VERY important common thread between us: the use of
magnification technologies from Zoomify (www.zoomify.com).  Under the
current/"old" zoomify embed code, things looked like this:

<OBJECT CLASSID="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000"
CODEBASE="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,40,0"
WIDTH="700" HEIGHT="450">
           <PARAM NAME="FlashVars"
VALUE="zoomifyImagePath=http://www.mapformation.com/images/portfolio/campus/onu3D/">
           <PARAM NAME="MENU" VALUE="FALSE">
		  <param name=bgcolor value=#A7A690>
           <PARAM NAME="SRC"
VALUE="http://www.mapformation.com/images/zoom/zoomifyViewer.swf">
		  <param name="wmode" value="transparent" />
           <EMBED
FlashVars="zoomifyImagePath=http://www.mapformation.com/images/portfolio/campus/onu3D/"
wmode="transparent" bgcolor=#A7A690
SRC="http://www.mapformation.com/images/zoom/zoomifyViewer.swf"
MENU="false"
PLUGINSPAGE="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"
  WIDTH="700" HEIGHT="450"></EMBED>
   </OBJECT>

Using your swfObject solution, my code looks like this:

<script type="text/javascript"
src="../../templates/scripts/swfobject.js"></script>
University, complete with magnification functionality using Zoomify
technology.</div>
<script type="text/javascript">
    var so = new
SWFObject("http://www.mapformation.com/images/zoom/zoomifyViewer.swf",
"mymovie", "700", "450", "6", "#A7A690");
    so.addParam("FlashVars",
"zoomifyImagePath=http://www.mapformation.com/images/portfolio/campus/onu3D/");
    so.addParam("MENU", "FALSE");
    so.addParam("wmode", "transparent");
    so.write("flashcontent");
</script>

Your code is a lot cleaner!  However, no "zoomify" functionality after a
refresh in MSIE.  This is a BIG problem for me, since my site makes
heavy use of Zoomify technology.  Any ideas?  At minimum, I wanted to
see if I could help Jonathan at least know he's not alone in his
struggles....as well as about the "common thread" of Zoomify between us.
  Essentially what Zoomify does is load one common .swf "Viewer" file,
then variably-load hundreds or even thousands of spliced .jpgs into it
from many different folders/directories.  Works like a charm across all
browsers....until this recent issue with MSIE.

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Derek