[SWFObject] SWFObject VS Google Quality Guidelines

Rick Lecoat signups at sharkattack.co.uk
Sun Nov 26 03:09:45 PST 2006

Just to push this question on one step (and in so doing I realise that
I'm straying off forum-topic *slightly*):

I've duplicated the whole of my flash site's text in the "flashcontent"
div (which sits half way down my page, with a 100% width). And that is
great except that if somebody doesn't have flash, the page looks rather
a mess, as that text (being a thousand words or so with nice big
headers) spills out below the bottom edge of the "flashcontent" div and
pours down the page. That is correct behaviour given how my
"flashcontent" div is positioned but it's ugly for non-flash users --
even if they only have to see it until they get the plugin.

So I thought of making the overflow setting for the "flashcontent" div
overflow:scroll which would let them scroll through the text with a
viewport the same size as the flash movie would be -- much nicer except
that the browsers insist on putting scroll bars on the div even when the
content has been replaced. Ugly again, and in this case it actually
messes with the flash-savvy layout, so that's a non-starter.

My last idea was to give the div overflow:hidden. This way I can simply
have the "Go and get Flash" link visible in the div area with all the
rest of the content -- the text duplicated from the flash movie --
hidden out of the way below the bottom edge of the div.

My worry is that Google's no hidden text policy might take offence and
ban the site, even though its intentions are noble and not spammy.
Searching through various SEO forums has not unearthed any consensus of
opinion, so I though I'd try you fellows. I know this is more of an SEO
issue, but it has its roots in SWFObject, so hopefully can still be
considered more or less on-topic(?)

Does anybody have any semi-concrete knowledge in this matter? FWIW the
CSS that sets the div's overflow is in an external stylesheet, not
written directly to the page. Maybe this would help the overflow:hidden
escape Google's notice?

Many thanks in advance.
--
Rick Lecoat