[SWFObject] SWFObject with Express Install

Steve Lovisa steve at silverlinecreative.com
Wed Nov 29 07:39:47 PST 2006

I'm a freelance designer who is only ankle deep in JS & ActionScript. I've
been struggling to get Express Install to work and would appreciate any help
I can get!

My SWF is a container for a progressive download video. WITHOUT Express
Install, it's working fine:

http://www.silverlinecreative.com/clients/firstchoice/index_swfobject_only.h
tml

When I add the Express Install option, everything works.except the SWF never
starts playing:

www.silverlinecreative.com/clients/firstchoice/index_swfobject_express.html

Here's what I've done.In my header, I included:

<script type="text/javascript" src="swfobject.js"></script>

Where the SWF should appear, I included:

<!-- this appears if user doesn't have JavaScript enabled, or doesn't have
the required Flash Player version -->

href="http://www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer/" target="_blank">Install the
latest Flash Player</a></p>

<script type="text/javascript">

// <![CDATA[

var so = new SWFObject("bcam_video_exp.swf", "myMovie", "250", "230", "8",
"#FFFFFF", "true");

so.write("bcam_video");

// ]]>

</script>

And in the first frame of my Flash file (thinking the problem lies here?), I
included:

#include "expressinstall.as"

// initialize the ExpressInstall object

var ExpressInstall = new ExpressInstall();

// if the user needs to upgrade, show the 'start upgrade' button

if (ExpressInstall.needsUpdate) {

// this is optional, you could also automatically start the

// upgrade by calling ExpressInstall.init() here instead of the following
lines

// attach the custom upgrade message  ** NOTE: see notes in Upgrade Message
movieclip re: types of content to use

            var upgradeMsg = _root.attachMovie("upgradeMsg_src",
"upgradeMsg", 1);

            upgradeMsg._x = Stage.width / 2;

            upgradeMsg._y = Stage.height / 2;

            // attach the button actions that will start the ExpresInstall
updater

            upgradeMsg.upgradeBtn.onRelease = function() {

                        ExpressInstall.init();

            }

            // if expressinstall is invoked, stop the timeline.

            stop();

}

Any ideas??