[SWFObject] FO Integration Kit problems - continued

Aran Rhee aran.rhee at qdc.net.au
Sun Oct 8 05:55:48 PDT 2006

David.

Yes, I can replicate your issue.

I remember I did something like this (but it worked) using the original
Macromedia JavaScript integration kit.

So I went ahead and modified your demo page to utilise the MM version (no
swfObject) to show you the concept is at least possible. I only had to
modify the original MM JavaScriptFlashGateway.js a little so that I could
write the flash contents to a DIV (the original version did a document.write
and kills the other div contents :( )

You can find the demo here (BTW - feel free to download the modified
JavaScriptFlashGateway.js):

http://www.misterhee.com/jskit/dynamic_flashjs.html

I am guessing here (I'm tired and need to go to bed), but I think what is
happening on the SWFObject implementation is that you are losing your local
connection / it is not available when it needs to be, as the setProxy() call
is being called AFTER the creation of the flash content.

Notice in my example that I create the FlashProxy in the HEAD and never
destroy it. I think a similar technique would need to be employed for the
setProxy() method.

*** I did find 1 weirdness in IE though: If I load then remove flash (via
the buttons), the 1st time I press load flash again, I can "ping" from flash
but the buttons don't do anything. If I then press load flash a second time,
then it is all happy ????!! ***

I'm interested in hearing how you get on with this.

Geoff, any thoughts ?

Cheers,
Aran