[SWFObject] swfobject to embed documents in popups?

DL dl.lists at ntlworld.com
Fri Oct 20 11:18:40 PDT 2006

On 20 Oct 2006 at 10:35, Carl Hudon wrote:

> We are working on a flash based game here and have been asked to add
> some informational bits and controls outside of the main game window
> (yes, we have tried to get that idea out of the management's head but
> to no avail). Bottom line is we now have to pop other flash apps/comps
> that will live in window.open'ed browser windows. the rest is cake...

I have integrated SWFObject with Yahoo UI ... and they work together quite nicely since both
use div containers.

You have to target one of the nested div containers (class="bd") to embed SWFObject (or
any other content).

YUI can then be used to popup/animate the div container through Yahoo UI API.  Note that it
is not a pop up window but an animated div container with dynamic content and properties.

Full details here .

http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/

Here are the container (popup) examples

http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/examples/container/index.html

If you take this HTML source as a starting point ..

http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/examples/container/overlay-manager.html

then to get going ..

(a) Insert SWFObject script at bottom of overlay_manager.html (before </body>).

(b) Add an SWFObject ID (ID="flashcontent") to one of the body ("bd") containers

e.g.

SWFObject will write content into this body container.</div>

(c) .. and away you go.

(d)  Also, you can customise the popup Panels by embedding different border content
("skins") .. see XP Panel and Aqua Panel examples as starting point.  I am using SWFObject
to "skin" custom panel components (Flash embedded in the skin borders instead of default
*.gif images).

DL