[SWFObject] FW: IE not cache swf

DL dl.lists at ntlworld.com
Sat Oct 21 04:13:05 PDT 2006

On 20 Oct 2006 at 15:58, César Villaça wrote:

> Has anyone noticed that IE does not look to the cache first when loading
> from the server? Is there a fix? I had never noticed until I used the same
> SWF 30+ times on the same page. It seems to just request another one every
> time. Firefox and Safari call cached version correctly. This is a huge
> issue since my client really wants the flash buttons, but the page load
> time frustratingly slow

First observation I would make .. why do you use so many (30+) embedded SWF files?

You can pass vars (to control different views) from an external XML file, or internal XM
dataset.

You need only one SWF file if you use an oen source Flash (RIA) development environment
like ....

http://www.laszlosystems.com

Or if mixing with HTML content, make your toolbar just one SWF file.

On the subject of IE caching .. more here ..

http://mir.aculo.us/articles/2005/08/28/internet-explorer-and-ajax-image-caching-woes

All the more reason, surely, for having a single load, single SWF application, with one
SWFObject call onload.

If you are inspecting HTTP requests/responses, this proxy tool is useful (and free - IEWatch
is not free)

http://www.fiddlertool.com

Launch the url in IE browser then click Session Inspector.

You can see the multiple requests for /flash/swftib.swf

Also if you dump the session report - Edit > Copy > Full Report

at caching you see this

Cache-Control: no-store, no-cache, must-revalidate, post-check=0, pre-check=0

Fiddler also works in Firefox but proxy connection has to be manually set to port 8888.

DL