[SWFObject] Problems with Flash 6 and swfobject 1.4.4

jakob neander jakob.neander at gmail.com
Wed Sep 6 02:02:25 PDT 2006

Hello,

I love the script, but I've been having problems with the latest
version. I started getting complaints that our website would crash or
"disappear". I was unable to recreate the problem until I used the
uninstaller from Adobes site and installed Flash Player 6 from
http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=tn_14266.

The problem seems to be the same that is described here:
http://blog.deconcept.com/2006/01/11/getvariable-setvariable-crash-internet-explorer-flash-6/
I don't use Express Install, I don't specify a minor version only "6"
and I don't use the getPlayerVersion() function alone (the three cases
described that could still cause it).

I have actually gotten that exact error pictured there once, but most
of the time the browser just disappears. No error messages, the
current window just dies. A friend of mine had the same problem, his
solution was to downgrade to FlashObject 1.3c. My solution was to
change the version parameter from "6" to "7".

I have set up three testpages to verify for myself:
http://www.cowmob.nu/~tum/flashobject/flashobject.html (flashobject 1.3c)
http://www.cowmob.nu/~tum/flashobject/swfobject.html (swfobject 1.4.4
checking for version "6")
http://www.cowmob.nu/~tum/flashobject/swfobject7.html (swfobject 1.4.4
checking for version "7")
(The movie is one of the sample movies from adobes homepage)

Clicking again on each page just links back to the same page, on
flashobject.html and swfobject7.html I can do this over and over,
flashobject.html showing the flash and swfobject7.html showing the
fallback. swfobject.html however will show the flash, but when I click
the "again" link it will crash, if not the first or second time then
at least the third.

Is there some way that the bug was reintroduced? Or is it something
else I have done wrong/missed.

Regards
Jakob Neander