[SWFObject] Opera and Firefox

Chris Colman chrisc at stepaheadsoftware.com
Tue Aug 15 21:44:32 PDT 2006

I have had a lot of people saying that they can't see the movies play on
Opera and Firefox. I think this is because the Flash player is not
installed by default. When I get them to install the Flash player plugin
on these browsers it works fine. This got me wondering:

When I use the OBJECT tag the browsers seem to automatically prompt a
download of the Flash player but when I use FlashObject/SWFObject this
does not seem to occur. Is this correct?

I noticed that there is an ExpressInstall feature that involves
including some action script in the movies themselves. Is this the only
way to get browsers to auto load the player if it is not already
installed?

Regards,
Chrisco