[SWFObject] ExpressInstall is not always stopping movie

Daniel Klein danielklein at airpost.net
Sat Jul 1 05:05:28 PDT 2006

Thanks Jim,

I had thought of that but I'd just shifted all my content up a frame and
it was a pain to do so I didn't want to do it again unless I absolutely
had to. In the mean time I have come up with my own solution. My code in
frame 2 looks like this:

/* lots of code that has nothing to do with SWFObject */
_root.onEnterFrame = function() {
	//if (getBytesLoaded()<getBytesTotal() || ExpressInstall.needsUpdate) {
	if (getBytesLoaded()<getBytesTotal() || expressinited == true) {
		gotoAndStop(1);
	} else {
		gohome(); // or gotoAndStop(3); etc.
	}
};

The commented-out line is how I originally tried to do it but it didn't
work. The variable I added (see previous message for frame 1 code) seems
to be more reliable than testing for ExpressInstall.needsUpdate again.
If anyone wants to use this code in their own movie feel free.

Interesting: the bit about the loader being in frames 2 & 3. My loader
(as you can see) is in frames 1 & 2. I would like to know if this is
common but obviously this is not the right forum to discuss this. If
anyone feels like explaining this I don't mind a short email to me
directly.

Cheers

Daniel