[SWFObject] flash player detect

DL dl.lists at ntlworld.com
Tue Jul 11 02:01:46 PDT 2006

On 11 Jul 2006 at 11:57, Bock, Sarah wrote:

Q1.
> I need to detect whether flash is installed at all. I have an inbuilt
> flash detect to see what version they are using but it’s not picking
> anything up if no flash player is installed.

If there is no flash player installed the "alternate text" in the SWFObject <div></div>
can be used to give Flash installation instructions in your browser.

Q2.
> Do I need to use ExpressInstall to check for a flash player presence
> and is it possible to do so without changing anything in the main
> Flash file? (I have many many files to update)

ExpressInstall is only needed if you require the latest version of Flash Player.

You can get by without it .. just do not add the argument  "true" in your SWFObject
script.

If you require ExpressInstall .. to avoid changing the main Flash file(s) use a small test
movie as pre loader.

DL