[SWFObject] SWFObject-loaded movies not clickable on some computers

Julie Fuller jfuller at thehammeronline.com
Mon Jun 12 12:28:55 PDT 2006

I have a rather odd problem: the site http://www.goexposed.com/ is
intermittently not working on some computers.  It always loads and does
the opening animation, but when people try to click on the clickable
areas (e.g. "rsvp now") it doesn't work on certain computers with Flash
player 7 installed (maybe even any computer with Flash player 7).  The
affected computers are all Windows (2000, XP Home, and XP Professional),
all using Internet Explorer 6, and the site works fine if I use another
method to load in the SWF... the problem only occurs with SWFObject.

Any ideas?  I've Googled the issue and haven't had any luck; the obvious
solution is to stop using SWFObject and use another method to
incorporate the Flash, but that's unattractive because A) Microsoft and
the "click here to activate" issue and B) SWFObject is so clean and neat
and handy!  :-D

(Also, this is not the first time I've run across this... I have a
SimpleViewer gallery on another site, and it has the exact same problem
-- and all that code is auto-generated [by Picasa, in my case]!)

Thank you!
<mailto:jfuller at thehammeronline.com>