[SWFObject] passing JS variables to swfobject

Chris Barr barr104 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 28 22:24:26 PDT 2006

Hey guys, I'm having a rather unusual problem with variables passed
through SWF object to flash, and I can't figure out any other way to
do this properly.
I'm trying to get the referrer (generated by PHP) sent to a flash
"enter" button to enter my site.  When the button is pressed it sends
many variables to a PHP form to store this data for me to see later -
all transparent to the user.

ANYWAY - say someone finds my site via google, so the referrer is set
to "http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=eject
+media".  In setting up the flash object I set it to add a variable
to my flash movie like this - so.addVariable("referrer", "http://
www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=eject+media");

And as you may think, that works just fine...to a point.  Flash only
sees the variable up to the first & symbol!  Meaning all I get in
flash is "http://www.google.com/search?client=safari" - I don't get
to see what the actual google query is!

This is a very odd problem, but I see no other way to get this var
passed into flash properly.  Any ideas?

Chris Barr | media designer | ejectmedia.net
chris at ejectmedia.net
336.413.0221
aim: ejectmedia