[SWFObject] ExpressInstall is not always stopping movie

Daniel Klein danielklein at airpost.net
Fri Jun 30 17:29:36 PDT 2006

Fixed my previous problem, it was my code, not SWFObject. However, I'm
now having a problem with ExpressInstall. Here is the code from frame 1:

Stage.showMenu = false;
LoaderBar._xscale = 0;
// SWFObject code obtained from http://blog.deconcept.com/swfobject/
//#include "expressinstall.as"
// Original expressinstall.as doesn't compile due to function():Type not
being supported.
#include "expressinstallnotype.as"
// initialize the ExpressInstall object
var ExpressInstall = new ExpressInstall();
_root.onEnterFrame = function() {
	// if the user needs to upgrade, show the 'start upgrade' button
	if (ExpressInstall.needsUpdate && expressinited != true) {
		ExpressInstall.init();
		// this is optional, you could also automatically start the
		// upgrade by calling ExpressInstall.init() here instead of the following lines
		// attach the custom upgrade message and center it
		/*var upgradeMsg = attachMovie("upgradeMsg_src", "upgradeMsg", 1);
		upgradeMsg._x = Stage.width/2;
		upgradeMsg._y = Stage.height/2;
		// attach the button actions that will start the ExpressInstall updater
		upgradeMsg.upgradeBtn.onRelease = function() {
			// the ExpressInstall.init() method is what kicks off the actual update
			ExpressInstall.init();
		};//*/
		expressinited = true;
		// if expressinstall is invoked, stop the timeline.
		stop();
	} else if (getBytesLoaded()<getBytesTotal() || expressinited == true) {
		LoaderBar._xscale = (getBytesLoaded()/getBytesTotal())*100;
		gotoAndStop(1);
	} else {
		gotoAndStop(2);
	}
};

I have a loader bar in frame 1. The movie is designed to wait until it's
fully downloaded before going to frame 2. The thing is, SWFObject also
stops the movie on frame 1. I've tried differentiating between SWFObject
and my code stopping the movie but if you don't install the upgraded
player and then reload the page it takes you to the main part of the
movie, then tells you you need to upgrade. I have uploaded two versions,
http://www.caveboy.com.au/test/loadtest4.html which should play through
in Flash Player 6 and later and
http://www.caveboy.com.au/test/loadtest9.html which should ask you to
upgrade to Flash Player 9. Any ideas how to fix this? Both versions use
to same .swf file, the only difference is the version of Flash Player
they try to detect in the .html code. I'm using Flash MX (v6.0).

Cheers

Daniel

--
                          or over the web