[SWFObject] Flash Player 9

Geoff Stearns geoff at deconcept.com
Fri Jun 30 20:25:28 PDT 2006

swfobject is fine with flash 9, and should be fine until adobe makes
a major change to the plugin identification.

with that said, flash player 9 does introduce new security stuff, so
there are bound to be some quirks that you may have to work around,
but i don't anticipate anything huge.

there is one big update in the Express Install functionality - the
current way swfobject handles that isn't compatible with flash player
9 if your content is published for flash 9... so i'll be updating it
to support that soon. I'm thinking that this will be a major change,
and i'll change some of the other core stuff while i'm adjusting that.

the main new feature i want to add will be named arguments... so
you'll be able to do:

new SWFObject("mymovie.swf", {bgcolor: "#000000", width: 300, height:
400, id: "mymovie"});

or

new SWFObject("mymovie.swf", "mymovie", 300, 400,
{ useExpressInstall: true });

etc. etc. - basically so you can pick and choose which named
arguments to use - sIFR currently uses a method like this and I
really like the flexibility it offers, and it also makes it much
easier to remember the arguments when you are using it.

the new Express Install will be much easier to use 'out of the box'
as well, as i'll be bundling a expressinstall.swf that you can just
drop in. (or you can modify it if you want a custom upgrade message)

but all of this will have to wait a few weeks, as i'm heading to
europe for 2 weeks next friday, and will be trying to relax as much
as possible :)