[SWFObject] Flash Player 9

Aran Rhee aran.rhee at qdc.net.au
Fri Jun 30 19:06:24 PDT 2006

Matt.

Since no one else answered this one.

The diff. between flash 8 and 9:

The difference betweeen flash 9 and 8 is that v9 has a totally new VM
(virtual machine) which runs Actionscript 3. AS3 was developed for use with
Flex 2 from the ground up and has much higher performance. The Flash IDE v9
public alpha has also just been released on labs, so you can use flash to
author flash based AS3 projects too. I recommend grabbing it and starting to
get your head around AS3 - there is a lot of new functionality and
differnces.

Flash player 9 actually has 2 VM's - one for AS 1/2 for legacy code (so all
your old project will work exactly as they have before), and the new AS3 VM
(for use on new flex files etc). I think for most operations, about a 10x
performance increase has been observed using AS3.

So much to learn, so little time :)

Cheers,
Aran