[SWFObject] ie7

Michiel Nijdam michiel at dezta.nl
Thu Nov 2 01:23:49 PST 2006

Hi all,

Apparantly, not a lot of people are reporting problems with SWFobject in
IE7 (on XP, not tested in Vista). I do have issues though, as I've also
posted here:
http://blog.deconcept.com/2006/08/03/swfobject-144-released/#comment-149
10

I've recently started using SWFobject and I really like how it both
solves the IE activation issue and results in valid and nicely degrading
pages. However, the pages I've made using SWFobject, crash IE7. Never on
initial load, but after a few reloads IE7 crashes every time. Firefox
and IE6 behave perfectly.

See this in action:
http://www.dezta.nl/temp_redesign/dezta_voorpagina.html
(this is a new design I'm working on, so this is a work in progress and
only a few example links function)

The HTML and CSS validate and no javascript errors are reported. I've
tried this page without flash and with the classic object/embed method
and this works without any crashes.

I don't have this problem when I test the SWFobject example pages. Any
idea what's going on here? Is there a problem with my code? Or is this a
bug in IE7?

(BTW, I've only installed IE7 on a virtual machine using VMWare, but
that shouldn't matter, should it?)

Furthermore, I realize flash is really not necessary in this design, so
if this problem can't be solved I'll just ditch the flash for this site.
However, I have the same problem on a site where the client doesn't want
to lose the flash.

Kind regards,
Michiel Nijdam