[SWFObject] Knock, knock

Aran Rhee aran.rhee at qdc.net.au
Wed Nov 1 20:04:57 PST 2006

Hi Stephen.

Menu page
Attached is a very simple rewrite of your menu frame page using swfObject. I
haven't changed your table mark-up etc. This will detect for flash version 8
in the users machine and display the flash menu, otherwise display the
alternative content described in the "flashcontent" <DIV>.

You just need to change the name of the html file and also upload the
swfObject.js file into the same directory.

BTW - you could most likely export the menu as flash 6 or 7, as it doesn't
seem to use any advanced flash 8 features, or any AS2 classes etc. If you
are only using getURL commands on your buttons, flash 6 (mx) is a safe
export version.

You can use the same basic idea and put it on your banner page too.

Book/Site
Are you wanting to learn java or JavaScript? JavaScript is what is used as
part of swfObject to do client-side scripting for browsers, where as Java is
a completely different language which is used on enterprise level server
side coding (and cross platform offline applications). I presume you mean
JavaScript, but perhaps not as Java and flash can be combined for more
complex web based applications (like the one I am presently working on)

Flash books - something like "Foundation Flash 8" by friends of ed
(http://www.friendsofed.com/book.html?isbn=1590595424) would be a good place
to start, with it's sister book on the coding side of things "Foundation
actionscript for flash 8"
(http://www.friendsofed.com/book.html?isbn=1590596188).

JavaScript - I am self taught in this area since actionscript and JavaScript
are almost identical in terms of syntax, but something like "JavaScript: a
beginners guide" is a good start, and is supposed to be good
(http://www.pageresource.com/jsbook.htm)

For flash beginners questions, there are more general lists and forums such
as http://www.actionscript.org or http://www.flashkit.com etc. This is
really a small list specifically for swfObject related questions (which
your's was :), but I am unsure if you will learn the sort of general things
you want to know about flash/JavaScript here. You are of course welcome to
do so though.

Cheers,
Aran

  _____