[SWFObject] IE6 not detecting Flash player

Becky Kinney bkinney at UDel.Edu
Fri Nov 10 10:19:01 PST 2006

I had a problem with IE 6 using Express Install on a Mac virtual PC. The
Express install message never popped up, and my content opened in Flash 6
even though I had set the detection to Flash 7. No problem on my own Windows
box. The work-around I used was to go into the actionscript code  and change
the conditional from:

// if the user needs to upgrade, show the 'start upgrade' button
if (ExpressInstall.needsUpdate) {

var major =getVersion().split(" ")[1].split(",")[0];
var ExpressInstall = new ExpressInstall();
// if the user needs to upgrade, show the 'start upgrade' button
if ( major < 7 ) {//ExpressInstall.needsUpdate

That ( along with some other stuff I added to the html) solved the problem
for me, but I never did figure out what caused the problem in the first
place.

Becky