[SWFObject] IE6 not detecting Flash player

Becky Kinney bkinney at UDel.Edu
Fri Nov 10 15:42:58 PST 2006

I'm not sure if this is related, but I know of two cases in which machines
were refusing to install any new ActiveX due to security settings. For a
while I was afraid that some IE update was doing this to people's machines
without even warning them, but then I learned that it was really just a
recommendation. The symptom in this case had nothing to do with swfObject.
We had a test machine with an older version of the plugin, and when we hit a
page requiring Flash 7, and went to adobe to do the install, it failed
silently. Updating IE solved the problem, and on the other machine, turning
down security long enough to do the install solved the problem.

Becky

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rick Chasin" <rchasin at designrac.com>
To: <swfobject at lists.deconcept.com>
Sent: Friday, November 10, 2006 5:49 PM
Subject: Re: [SWFObject] IE6 not detecting Flash player

Well, I uninstalled/reinstalled the flash player, and voila, it now
works in both IE6 and Firefox2. Geoff, you are obviously correct on this
- most likely updating players corrupted IE's ability to see the player.
I saw a large number of posts in Adobe forums griping about troubles
with updating to player 9.

I suspect the corporation I mentioned has updated but not
uninstalled/reinstalled the player, so this is out of my control.

Thank you all for pointing me in the direction to resolve this issue.

--