[SWFObject] detection script issue with Flash 9.0.16 and IE 6.0.2900

Geoff Stearns geoff at deconcept.com
Fri Nov 10 13:32:51 PST 2006

it's not preventable with code...

what happens is that the Flash Player install gets 'corrupted'
somehow... not sure what the exact cause is... I think installing IE7
might have something to do with it - if you install IE7 but don't
reinstall the Flash player might be a cause, but I've also heard of
it working fine, so there must be a specific case for it.

anyway, when the install is corrupted.. the ocx file is there in the
browser, and the browser can load it, but the system registry doesn't
know it's there (or something like that). The way SWFObject works, is
it tries to create a new activex control and then does a GetVariable
("$version"); call on it to get the Flash version.. But i guess if
the install is corrupt, the activex instantiation fails, and
SWFObject thinks there is no player installed at all.

but the crappy part is that if you use an object tag to embed a swf,
the browser knows how to located it that way...

Another crappy thing is that reinstalling the player over the top of
an already 'corrupted' install won't fix it.. you have to
specifically uninstall it first, then reinstall it. Maybe Adobe can
change this so a reinstall would fix it, but I don't know if that's
even possible.