[SWFObject] swfObject creates useless vertical scrollbar in a liquid layout

Matt Gates mlg2 at spacefoundry.com
Fri Oct 13 14:57:42 PDT 2006

Don't know if anyone's run into this- maybe I'm just trying something
unusual- but it seems I've run into a bug. For full browser flash,
the swfObj works great, but what I'm trying to do is a liquid 2
column layout with a fixed width HTML column and and an expandable
Flash column, and  I'm getting a useless vertical scroll bar when it
seems I shouldn't. Check out the evidence...

EXHIBIT A
http://spacefoundry.com/clientview/opa/noswfobj100/
This version has no swf- the red area is the <body>, the grey area is
the HTML div, and the yellow is the div that I want to replace with
the swf using swfObject. You can see that the styles themselves don't
create a scrollbar.

EXHIBIT B
http://spacefoundry.com/clientview/opa/swfobj100/
Now observe the same markup with the swfObject added- a useless
vertical scrollbar appears.

EXHIBIT C
http://spacefoundry.com/clientview/opa/swfobj99/
In an attempt to debug this, I changed the height of the yellow
swfObject div from 100% to 99%– this removes the scrollbar in Firefox
and Safari, but not in IE, and it has the unfortunate side effect of
creating a space at the bottom of the page. I want the swf to extend
to the full height of the browser window.

Thanks!