[SWFObject] IE streaming audio does not auto play

Noah Winecoff asknoah at gmail.com
Fri Oct 13 07:51:27 PDT 2006

Ok I have tested those methods and they did not work for me.

What I have tried:
- Placing the flash in an iFrame and displaying the iFrame in the div.
- "Hiding" the DIV by setting its size to 1x1px instead of setting its
display style

I do have it working WITHOUT SWFObject. Here is how it is implemented.

When the DIV is shown I write the flash to the DIV via innerHTML with an
external JS file so IE does not give that annoying "click to active plugin"
box around the flash.

When the DIV is hidden I reset the DIV's content via innerHTML to an empty
string so the flash audio will no continue playing in IE even when its not
displayed.

I can live with this for now. As someone stated earlier, I do not think this
is an issue with SWFObject, rather a bug in IE. Firefox/Flock did not have
this issue.

Hopefully one day I will find the solution to this or IE will get fixed.

Once again thanks for everyone's help and thanks Geoff for a great module!