[SWFObject] re- embedded flash player

Jim Berkey jim at jimbo.us
Sun Oct 22 04:24:41 PDT 2006

If it were me, I would make the thumbnail/button as a flash movie swf. I would make the link with the _blank paramater to ensure that the movie opened in a new window:

myButton_mc.onRelease = function(){
   getURL("myVideo.html", _blank);
};

The movie will open in it's own browser window or tab, and the user can close it when finished, revealing the original window that you wanted to return to. If you are unsure of your visitor's browser skill level, you can add a line on the page with the button saying 'Click here to view movie - when finished, close the movie window to return here', or on the movie page, put text saying, 'close window when finished.' - Just like the 'Cards' on your own website. You click on a card, it opens in a new window/tab, and when finished you close that window/tab and the page you came from is displayed.

Hopefully you are encoding your movie as a progressive flv file and 'streaming' it through a flash flv player? (of course, embedding it on the page with SWFObject.)

You can have a javascript call attempt to re-direct a browser window from the flash movie when it is finished, but I haven't found any that works across all of the different browsers.
jimbo