[SWFObject] swfobject / MIT copyright

Bock, Sarah sarah.bock at tafensw.edu.au
Sun Sep 10 18:38:19 PDT 2006

Hi

Our programming team has been using Geoff Stearn's swfobject script to
embed Flash objects for the last few months and we have been really
pleased with the results.

The copyright statement we have included to this date has been the
general statement included at the top of the originally downloaded
script (see below), which contains a link to a more general MIT
copyright notice.

It has been brought to my attention that this may not be sufficient, as
the MIT copyright notice states that the notice as well as the
permission notice must also be included in the script.

So, basically, the purpose of this email is to identify whether we have
been in breach of copyright by using the swfobject script in our
educational resources with the shorter copyright statement as shown
below. As we have already published the script in an abundance of
locations we also would need to identify how to remedy this breach in
our finished resources.

Currently used copyright statement:

/**

 * SWFObject v1.4.1: Flash Player detection and embed -
http://blog.deconcept.com/swfobject/

 *

 * SWFObject is (c) 2006 Geoff Stearns and is released under the MIT
License:

 * http://www.opensource.org/licenses/mit-license.php

 *

 * **SWFObject is the SWF embed script formerly known as FlashObject.
The name was changed for

 *   legal reasons.

 */

Regards