[SWFObject] detection script issue with Flash 9.0.16 and IE 6.0.2900

Jeb Boniakowski Jeb at protosw.com
Tue Sep 19 16:42:30 PDT 2006

Hi--

Sorry if this is the wrong place to send this, I couldn't find anything
on deconcept about a bug submission email or a bug tracker or anything,
but it did say "send SWFObject related stuff to the list".

-=Issue/Repro=-
I just upgraded to Flash Player to 9.0.16.  When I open
http://blog.deconcept.com/swfobject/flashversion.html in Firefox 1.8.0.7
I see:

"You have Flash player 9.0.16 installed.

This page displays your current Flash player version using Javascript."

When I open the same url in IE 6.0.2900.2180 on default security and
privacy settings I see:

"You do not have the Flash plugin installed, or your browser does not
support Javascript (you should enable it, perhaps?)
This page displays your current Flash player version using Javascript."

(I do have Javascript enabled in this IE instance.  All other JS-using
pages I test it against work fine).

I downloaded and installed Flash 9 from Adobe today, ran an installer in
install_flash_player.exe.

Note: Using the same IE and Flash, if I open
http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/triggerpages_mmcom/flash.html ,
I see a big banner (in Flash) that says, "Flash Successfully Installed",
so presumably, whatever method adobe.com is using to detect Flash here
works with this Flash and this IE.

-=Consequences=-
Flash embedding doesn't work with SWFObject method when user has Flash
9.0.16 and this version of IE.

-=Workarounds=-
1) Disable detection, at least for IE (easy)
2) Hack up IE detect script, use alternative flash method (gross and
difficult)