[SWFObject] Short Param name problem

Nathan L.Hoover apg1000 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 28 07:47:05 PDT 2006

Hello all,

I have been using the 1.4 version of SWFObject for about six months,
and are loving the script. It definitely solves a lot of my usability
problems.

However, after implementing a new online store, I found an issue with
the getQueryParamValue function for the embed. The problem was that the
store was adding a GET variable for "osCid", and my SWF is using a GET
variable named "d". So if the osCid variable was set, the SWFObject
embed would pick it up and assign it to my d variable. Obviously, this
produced non-expected results.

I fixed the problem by modifying the getRequestParameter function on
line 118:

// Modified the getRequestParameter function to account for short GET
variable names that
// may be part of a larger GET variable name
	deconcept.util={getRequestParameter:function(_2b)
	{
		var q=document.location.search||document.location.hash;
		if(q)
		{
			var _2d=q.indexOf("?"+_2b+"=");
			if( _2d == -1 )
				_2d=q.indexOf("&"+_2b+"=");

			if(q.length > 1 && _2d > -1 )
			{
				var _2e=(q.indexOf("&",_2d) > -1) ? q.indexOf("&",_2d):q.length;
				return q.substring(q.indexOf("=",_2d)+1,_2e);
			}
		}
		return "";
	}
This is in no way an elegance solution to the problem, but it works for
me. Thanks for all of the hard work.

												Nathan