[SWFObject] Detect missing Flash Player and Auto-Installlate st Flash Player

Geoff Stearns geoff at deconcept.com
Mon Sep 25 16:59:17 PDT 2006

well the history of this is that when I first created swfobject a
couple of years ago, the default firefox install wasn't as nice as it
is today..

so the idea was that if the use didn't have flash at all, you could
put your own alternate content or 'upgrade message' in there and
direct them to the adobe website - but it made more sense to me (and
still does) to not automatically invoke the update feature in firefox
or any browser (especially IE, where people might just think you are
trying to install spyware these days).

So having said that, there are ways for you to invoke the install
process in firefox if the user doens't have flash at all.

it would be really easy to use a little javascript in your page to
sniff for firefox, and then display a little extra link that links
them to the bypass detection page, or a custom upgrade page you may
have created on your website. it's all up to you, go wild.