[SWFObject] Flash and SEO...

niklas at widangdes.com niklas at widangdes.com
Sat Dec 9 13:59:38 PST 2006

Hi all!!

I have some questions regarding search engine optimization (SEO) and
flash. I know that this is a “forever ongoing discussion” on the web but
still I would like some advise. I’m using the SWFObject for flashsites. I
also use flashrelief.com’s plugin for flash called table maker to extract
content out of xhtml pages containing tables. Now – I have a flashsite
with four subpages/ sections called home, portfolio, services and about
me. Therefore I also have four xhtml pages with the content for the
flashsite called the same as the sections (except home is called
index.html). The way I’ve set it up right now is that with the help of
javascript (window.location="adress for the redirection";) I redirect the
user to the html page containing the flashsite. The thing is that I came
to realise that by doing this I’m not REALLY using the alternate content
of the html page that contains the flashsite – instead I’m redirecting the
user to ANOTHER html page containing the flashsite.
Is this something that could be considered as spam? I’ve read several
articles claiming that this defenetively is considered spamming....
With the help of the asual.com’s javascript for deeplinking and browser’s
backbutton functionality I’ve ALSO set it up so that if the user for
example finds the portolio.html page in a search engine the javascript
redirect the user to flash.html#/portfolio and that section will be loaded
in the flashsite – that way the content in flash will always match
perfectly with the html page and a user will always come directly into the
right section when entering the flashsite...
I guess what I could do is to put the flashsite (with SWFObject) on the
index.html page instead of flash.html. But I will still have to redirect a
user to for example index.html#/portfolio when they’ve entered my site
from portolio.html... Are you guys following me? Is this a better way to
do it? Puh...a long message!! 

Thanks in advance, Niklas