[SWFObject] Somethings strange

Geoff Stearns geoff at deconcept.com
Tue Jun 6 19:36:42 PDT 2006

I think every time I see a complaint about IE not working, the
resolution is always to run the adobe uninstaller and then reinstall
clean the version of flash player you want.

there are many ways it becomes corrupted, some of which include:

- installing and using IE7 and not reinstalling flash player (doesn't
seem to happen to everyone, not sure why that is)
- using plugin switcher (not sure if the newest version is fixed or not)
- otherwise messing with your installed flash plugins - moving .ocx
files without properly registering or unregistering them, etc. etc.

I have seen very few reports where end users have 'bad' flash player
installs, but it seems very rare and usually the people complaining
are developers who have done one of the above things.

if you want to see what version swfobject thinks you have installed,
go to the flashversion.html page and see what it says.

if you are sure that you haven't done any of the above, and still
have issues, i would love to hear more information about your system
setup, like what plugins you have installed, when you last updated
any plugins (especially fp), etc. etc.