[SWFObject] SWFObjets in Windows/IE and streaming flash player

Geoff Stearns geoff at deconcept.com
Mon May 1 12:33:50 PDT 2006

As a matter of fact, I have. (it's like deja vu all over again!)

Last night we found a bug that does just this.

The issue occurs when you are using streaming media and IE (it
doesn't happen in any other browsers) and it only happens if you
include an 'id' attribute on your object tag.

Once you take the id out, it will work fine and the player will
disable just fine.

The big drawback to this is that you can't use external interface to
send data from js to flash without the id on the object tag (i tried
everything else, using a name, using getElementsByTagName("OBJECT")
[0] - i tried it all, and nothing worked until i put the id back on.

So if you want a quick fix, and you aren't using externalinterface,
you can just modify the swfobject script so that it omits the id
attribute when it writes the object tag (look at line 69 in the
compressed version of swfobject.js)

and remove this part: id=\""+this.getAttribute("id")+"\"

If you are using externalinterface, you are in for a rough time. we
got it working, but it was a really complicated hack that required a
lot of reworking of things.

Adobe is aware of this issue as of last night, and we're hoping to
put together a test case to show them the issue.

If you want to be awesome, you could set up a test case for them -
just use a normal object/embed tag setup, no swfobject or anything
else, and put an id on one of the pages, and leave the id off the
other page and see what happens.